Monday, August 6, 2012

recipe: black bean salad

This dish is fabulous, and so pretty.

However, I don't have pictures to show you how pretty because I didn't plan on making this a separate post. I ended up having multiple requests for the recipe, so that's when I decided to post it. Sorry! Head over to the original recipe and look at her pictures; she does a great job. Or just take my word for it.

This is an adaptation of a recipe I found on Pintrest. The added things are in italics if you want to use them. I made the original for my husband's backyard birthday party, but I'm going to see what I can add next time I make it!

You'll want to make this one the day before, or at least a few hours before, you plan on serving it as the flavors need to marry before they mellow.

I trust you can get through this one without a step-by-step picture tutorial.

You will need:
  • 2 cans (15oz) of black beans
  • 3 FRESH ears of corn (it's crunchier and really MAKES the salad. If you live in the midwest, there is no excuse not to use fresh corn. I'm pretty sure this stuff grows in January around here)
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 2 minced cloves of garlic
  • 2 tablespoons minced shallots
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 9 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon lime zest
  • 6 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1/2 cup FRESH cilantro, diced (Fresh herbs and dried herbs have different strength qualities. If you can't, for some reason, use fresh herbs when they are called for, always use LESS dried herbs. Dried herbs have a more concentrated strength, so you will end up overpowering a dish if you apply a  fresh quantity requirement to dried herbs)
  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 2 mangos
  • 1 beefsteak tomato, diced
  • 1-2 jalapenos, cleaned and diced 

Drain and rise your black beans well, cut the kernels off your ears of corn, and dice your red bell peppers. Add these ingredients, along with everything else EXCEPT the avocados and mangoes, to a bowl and mix well. Right before you serve, dice and add the avos and mangoes. Gently toss and serve!

Ok, one picture. Our pretty (and ripe!) jalapenos.

No comments:

Post a Comment