Sunday, September 9, 2012

fall canvas

I'm continuing my Fall decorations, completing our home one step at a time! 
Maybe I'll be done by Thanksgiving?

I love canvas art. 

I love it even more when it covers up something ugly.
 
And I love it even more when it costs me $1 to make. Yep.


You see that?  A phone jack, circa 1994. That thing is ugly.

As in: U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi. You ugly. (In case you ever wondered about my age, there you go. I totally just dated myself)

I have already used canvas art to hide my thermostat in my dining room, but I didn't actually make it. This time around, I wasn't quite as willing to spend money on a seasonal canvas piece. Since I'm all about seasonal decorating right now, that's what I decided I wanted (then my brain started spinning: I can change it our for EVERY season! Oh, the possibilities!)

I decided that canvas was the way to go, since it worked so well the first time, 
so I headed to Hobby Lobby.

canvas, paint sticks, printable, and modge podge
I found a 2 pack of 8x10 canvases for $3.99, aaaaand I had a coupon (go figure, the canvas pack was probably the only thing in the store that wasn't on sale). Ok, so $2 for 2 canvases.

The problem was, the canvas I found wasn't deep enough to cover the heinous phone jack. think, think, think. Paint sticks! Of course! Oh, how I love crafting with paint sticks! I created a frame around my canvas with paint sticks, adding depth and a little character to an otherwise plain canvas side.  FREE!

I fell in love with this fall printable I found online, but there are so many great ones out there that I may print another one and find a home for it, too. Again, free!


Add a little homemade Mod Podge to your canvas and apply your cut-to-size subway art, then add a coat of sealer to the top. I was having a hard time with my ink running when I applied the Mod Podge to the top of the print, so I skipped this step in lieu of spray sealer.

I had some more help cutting my paint sticks (I am a cliche. I accept this). I measured along the top and bottom of my canvas, then along the sides. I stained them and hot glued them to the sides of my canvas. There are a couple gaps, but hey, it's home made!



That's it! Let everything dry, and hang!

I also made a Christmas one, but in my defense it is only because I have so many Christmas 
crafts planned that it seemed silly to put this one off and add it to my to-do pile since
 I was already doing the project anyway :)

1 comment: